Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chocolate Goodness!

My sister came to visit this past week and she can't have flour in anything she eats. So one day a couple years ago I was trying to find a cake recipe that would work for her. I came across this cake and I knew it would be a hit!
It tastes so delicious! I hope those out there reading this will give the recipe a try.

Flourless Chocolate Cake:
2 sticks of butter
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
7 egg yolks
1/2c. sugar
5 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Over a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate chips. While this is melting, beat the egg yolks and sugar. The egg yolk mixture should be light in color, and fluffy. Combine the chocolate mixture with the egg yolk mixture. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites. Once light and fluffy, gently fold whites into chocolate mixture. Add the vanilla extract, and pour into a greased 9 inch pan. Heat oven to 350 and bake for 25-35 min.

We then like to top the cake with a chocolate frosting. This frosting goes on thin and hardens slightly once it has had a chance to cool down.

Chocolate Frosting:
1 stick of butter
2T. dark cocoa powder
3T. buttermilk
1tsp. vanilla extract
2c. powdered sugar

Melt butter and then add in cocoa powder, and buttermilk. Mix well together over medium heat. The add 1c. of the sugar and heat for 1-2 minutes. Then add the rest of sugar and vanilla. Heat for another minute and then pour over cake.
Enjoy with fresh berries and vanilla ice cream.




3 comments:

  1. That looks SO good, Em! Yummy yummy I am salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Love seeing this blog coming together.
    I nominated you for a Sunshine Award. Do with it what you will, just wanted you to know I enjoy reading your blog and get you some link love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jenn I appreciate you! Hmmm, should I continue to make yummy desserts and then post pics or go to the gym? Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete