Monday, January 24, 2011

Cucumber Salad

Ok, this might not be everyone's favorite dish but I just love it! My Grandma Rosie made this delicious cucumber salad which her family just loved. Her kids, and grandkids still crave it every now and then. I think some people have the exact "Rosie" recipe but I didn't get the recipe just the way she made it. So here is what I came up with. When I was in AZ for a visit, Marta and I made it for my dad Tim. He loves this and she wanted to make sure she had a good recipe to make for him. This is what I could come up with. Give it a try, I hope you like it like us Kindt's do.

Cucumber Salad:
4 english cucumbers, split length wise and seeded
1/2c. hellman's light mayo
1/2c. light sour cream
1/4c. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1T. salt
1tsp. pepper
1/4c. fresh chopped dill (this is key! If you only have dried that's ok, but fresh is ideal)

*I used light sour cream and mayo to try and be a little figure friendly. But if you want to go all out, be my guest!

*Peel the cucumbers, then split them length wise and scoop out the seeds. Slice them as thinly as you can. Toss in a bowl. In a small bowl mix the the mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and dill. Combine well and taste. Add more salt or pepper or whatever you think it may need. Toss the sauce with the cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple hours or till chilled. This is great serving on a nice summer day when you are having a BBQ but if you're a Kindt you probably love this any time! Give it a try.
*Side note: As you let it chill, the cucumbers release water, but that's normal. With the seeds gone it wont be too watery. The sauce in the end is supposed to be a little thin.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily!! That recipe is right on! When I slice the cucs I put them on paper towels to draw out the water. Tasty! Love you, Melissa

    ReplyDelete